Myoinositol is the most abundant hexahydroxycyclohexane and is commonly found in a variety of foods. It can even be manufactured by the body from glucose.
Several small studies have indicated that myoinositol supplementation results in significant improvement in several symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome: ovulation, weight loss, cholesterol and triglyceride levels and blood pressure.
Studies have found that myoinositol supplementation can:
- Improve ovulation rates in women with PCOS
- Decrease hirsutism in women with PCOS
- Decrease the amount of androgens (male hormones) in women with PCOS
- Decrease hormonal acne associated with PCOS
- Reduce the hormone leptin which results in feelings of hunger
- Improve insulin resistance through it’s involvement in insulin action
- Relieve symptoms of depression
- Help the metabolism of fats in the liver
Genazzani AD et al, Myo-inositol administration positively affects hyperinsulinemia and hormonal parameters in overweight patients with polycystic ovary syndrome, Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008 Mar;24(3):139-44
Gerli S et al, Randomized, double blind placebo-controlled trial: effects of myo-inositol on ovarian function and metabolic factors in women with PCOS, Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2007 Sep-Oct;11(5):347-54
Larner J et al, In Vivo Conversion of myoinositol to chiroinositol in rat tissues, J Biol Chem 1992 Aug; 267(24):16904-16910